Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Electrical Walk Through

Today we met Rick, Joanne, and Stan (the electrician) at the site for our electrical walk through.

We went through the entire house, inside and out (except for the basement, which isn't framed yet) and chose where to put pot lights, lighting fixtures, electrical outlets and switches.

Joanne was so very helpful during this process, and thought of so many practical ideas (separate switch for Christmas tree lights, etc). Her experience really saved the day for us, as I believe the whole process would have taken double the time without her.

We ended up adding a ton of extra pot lights, over and above our allowances. But since I am not willing to commit to having a large amount of lamp lighting throughout the house, we wanted to be sure to have enough light in the ceilings. I think we should be good.

We had been told to really think things through beforehand, to be sure we include everything now. I understand why that sounds like good advice, but I did find it hard to anticipate what we might need in the future, even if we aren't using it now (for instance, desks in the younger children's bedrooms). Again, Joanne was so helpful in this department.

One thing I am excited about is that Rick has included door jam light switches in our pantry and all larger closets. This was something he had done in his models and Scott and I loved it when we saw it. It's so practical and I think it will just be so convenient.

This was another great learning experience for us and I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment